I love trying out new gadgets so a few months ago, I decided to buy the Amazon Fire TV Stick when it was on offer for £19 (retail price £35).
Amazon Fire TV stick is basically a streaming device similar to Google Chromecast or Roku that plugs right into the HDMI port of your television.
It is small, barely larger than a thumb drive but powerful. The stick has 8GB of internal storage and 1GB of memory.
You will need a high-definition television with available HDMI input, Internet connection via Wi-Fi and an electrical socket.
What’s in the box:
- Fire TV Stick
- Amazon Fire TV Remote
- USB cable and power adaptor
- HDMI extender cable
- 2 AAA batteries
- Quick start guide
When it arrived, it was already pre-registered to my Amazon account and took just a few minutes to set up. To set up simply:
- Connect the HDMI extender to the Fire TV stick
- Plug the power adaptor into your electrical socket
- Plug the Fire TV Stick into a HDMI slot on your TV
- Follow on-screen instructions and connect to your home WI-FI
The interface is very easy to use. The menus are well laid out with quick access to Search, Prime Video, Movies, TV, Watch List, Games, Apps, Music, Photos and Settings.
You can search for content using the onscreen keyboard. You can also download the Fire TV remote app on your smart phone and this allows you to use voice search.
The Fire TV Remote App is available for iOS, Android and Amazon devices.
You can also purchase the Voice remote for Amazon Fire TV separately.
This highlights your recent apps and videos.
As a Prime member, this is a perfect way to stream movies. It streams videos in full HD. A super cool feature is ASAP (Advanced Streaming and Prediction) – ASAP learns what Amazon movies and TV episodes you’ll want to watch and buffers them for playback before you hit play.
I’m a movie buff so this is great! I can choose from recently added Prime movies, recommended Prime movies and recommended movies to buy or rent.
There is a good selection of TV series available. You can choose from recently added prime TV, recently watched TV or Top TV to buy. I’m currently loving Extant Season 2 with Halle Berry.
Watchlist gives you a way to keep track of movies and TV shows you want to watch.
Lists your purchased or rented Amazon Instant Video movies and TV shows.
There are over 600 games available to download.
Most games work with the remote but some require an additional controller. You can purchase the Amazon Fire game controller separately.
There are tons of apps available to download including Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Music, Netflix, BBC iplayer, YouTube, Demand 5, Vimeo, Sky News, Spotify and much more.
Prime music is included with my Amazon prime membership so I can listen ad-free to over a million songs from top artists. I was also able to access my Amazon Music library and listen to albums and songs I had previously purchased.
I was able to sync photos on my iphone to Amazon Cloud drive and view them onscreen. Fire TV stick makes it easy to view slide shows, photos and videos I had saved in the cloud.
- Effortless to set up and use – Simply plug in and start streaming in minutes
- Very portable. You can take it from room to room or even take it when you’re on the go. I sometimes take it with me when I’m visiting family
- So much content to choose from
- You can mirror your phone or tablet to your TV
- Parental controls for purchase and viewing restrictions
- The supplied remote doesn’t include the voice search function.
- You’ll need an Amazon Prime subscription to get the most value out of the Fire TV Stick.
Overall I’m very pleased with my little gadget and highly recommend it.
Thank you for reading!
Please feel free to leave any comments below.