Well yesterday my boys wanted pizza and I didn’t have any in the freezer or the motivation to drive to Sainsbury’s, let alone make some from scratch! However, I had two fresh bloomers and loads of vegetables in the fridge.
So here’s my recipe:
- preheat oven to 180 degrees
- slice the bloomers in half (French sticks work well too)!
- roughly chop up 6 ripe vine tomatoes, mushrooms, thinly slice 1 red onion, and fresh herbs from the garden (I used oregano and majoram)
- place all the ingredients in a bowl, add salt, pepper, grate or thinly chop 2 cloves of garlic, a generous drizzle of dark soya sauce and mix it all together to absorb the flavours.
- layer your ingredients on the bloomers and top with grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
You could adapt the ingredients and sauces to your preference. For example: tomato purée base, sweet corn, olives, or if you want a non-vegetarian topping, add ham, pepperoni, bacon, sausages, or even left over chicken.
Line a large oven tray with kitchen foil. Place the bloomer in the oven for 15/20 minutes.
One bloomer is definitely more than enough for two adults.
The boys made themselves a smoothie; I preferred a cup of steaming tea.
Have a go!
Hope you enjoyed this quick treat.